Cipro which is also known as ciprofloxacin is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic that works for the treatment of bacterial infections. In other words, it helps the body to fight against bacteria.
CIPRO XR is a tablet that is produced in different forms (500 mg and 1000mg). Ciprofloxacin is made from the following ingredients:
- Magnesium stearate;
- Polyethylene glycol;
- Silica colloidal anhydrous;
- Succinic acid;
- Titanium dioxide.
It is advisable to get your doctor informed when you start to experience signs such as headache, paranoia, tingling, numbness, irritability, burning pain, confusion, agitation, problems with memory or concentration, thoughts of suicide, or sudden pain or joints problems. You need to be cautious when you use ciprofloxacin as its use may affect your aorta that may cause death or bleeding. Therefore, ensure you notify your doctor or call for an emergency when you begin to feel stomach, back or chest tenderness. In addition, myasthenia gravis patients (those that experience abnormal weakness of the muscles) should tell their doctors so that they can be restricted from Cipro use.
Ciprofloxacin is used primarily for the treatment of different types of bacterial infections. It doesn’t work for the treatment of flu, cold or other virus infections. As a quinolone antibiotic which works only for bacterial infections treatments, it helps by hindering bacteria from growing. Ensure you adhere to every instruction given by your doctor or pharmacist so they the drug can work effectively for its purpose.
Mode of Indication, Dosage, and Duration of Treatment
The prescription given must be strictly followed. Ensure you read the guides that come with your medication from your prescription label and do as directed. Cipro may be taken with or without a meal. Before the dose measurement (for Cipro oral suspension), ensure you shake the liquid for 15 minutes. You can use any of the available measuring devices such as a spoon, syringe to get the accurate measurement. Avoid the use of a feeding tube. For the tablet, ensure you swallow and not chew. The duration for its usage is not specific as you use it in relation to the length of time that comes with its prescription. Avoid missing your medication which may open you up to an irresistible infection. Ensure you properly dispose of Cipro oral suspension (liquid) after 14 days if it is unused.
The following precautionary measures must be put in mind:
- Ensure you keep away if have allergic reactions to Ciprofloxacin, tizanidine, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin, gemifloxacin or other available fluoroquinolones.
- Notify your doctor if you have any history of the following medical illnesses as Ciprofloxacin can lead to serious medical conditions during treatment:
- Joint problems;
- Blood circulation problems;
- Heart problems;
- A muscle disorder;
- A genetic disease;
- Kidney disease;
- Brain tumor.
- Pregnant women must notify their doctor for medical direction.
- Lactating mothers must keep away from Cipro.
Ensure you tell your doctor or call for emergency medical help when the following side effects come up as a result of the use of Ciprofloxacin: The following are the common ones:
- Stomach pain;
- Vaginal discharge or itching;
- Abnormal liver function tests.
The serious ones can be:
- Changes in mood or in behavior;
- Low blood sugar;
- Tendon problems;
- Nerves damage.
In a situation whereby you forget to use your prescribed medicine, you can always take it at the moment of recollection. However, mind the time for the next dose if not close. Taking two doses at one time should be avoided.
Peradventure you take more than the prescribed doses, quickly see your doctor or call for emergency medical help.
- Cipro is contraindicated in patients that are hypersensitive.
- Children can be affected by the use of this drug; therefore Ciprofloxacin is contraindicated in them.
- Ciprofloxacin is contraindicated in pregnant women and in lactating mothers.
- Ciprofloxacin is seen to be contraindicated in patients with seizure disorders.