Clonidine also known as Catapres helps to reduce blood pressure by reducing in the body the states of some specific chemicals. It helps with the relaxation of edders (blood vessels) and with the normal state of the heartbeat. Catapres works for the cure of High blood pressure (hypertension). The Kapvay brand of Clonidine works for the treatment of ADHD.
Clonidine hydrochloride USP is oral medication made in different forms with different strengths of 0.1 mg, 0.2 mg, and 0.3 mg. It contains the following ingredients:
· FD&C Blue No.1;
· Corn starch;
· Magnesium stearate;
· FD&C Yellow No. 6, gelatin;
· Dibasic calcium phosphate;
· Colloidal silicon dioxide;
· FD&C Red No.3.
Mode of Indication, Dosage, and Duration of Treatment
Ensure you follow all instructions on prescribed drugs. Adhere to all the guides on the prescription label. Take the drug exactly the way your doctor instructs; your doctor may decide to administer a new dose at times purposely for an improved medical condition. Ensure you don’t take more than it’s required and not less. Take Clonidine only within the time frame given; not longer than it’s required. Clonidine may be consumed twice in a day; morning and at bedtime; or larger dose when it is time to go to bed. You may take Clonidine with or without a meal. Avoid the intake at the same time two different forms of Clonidine. Swallow the tablet and not chew. Notify your surgeon early If you will be undergoing a surgical operation. There may be a need for the use of Clonidine for some times. Avoid a sudden withdrawal from Clonidine. Tell the doctor if there is an important reason to abstain from it and how to safely do that. Notify the doctor if you have an illness that lasts for a long time. High blood pressure patients should incessantly use this medication even after recovery.
The following precautionary measures must be taken before or when using Clonidine:
· Patients who are allergic to Clonidine should keep away from their use.
· Notify the doctor if you have a history of the following illnesses:
o Heart disease;
o Heart rhythm disorder;
o Slow heartbeats;
o Low blood pressure;
o Heart attack;
o Kidney disease.
· Tell the doctor if you experience an allergic reaction to a Catapres TTS skin patch.
· Clonidine should not be consumed by the elderly as they may be hypersensitive to its effects.
· Pregnant women and lactating mothers should ensure they notify their doctors before taking Clonidine.
· Avoid giving Catapres to those under 18 years old. Also, avoid giving Kapvay to children less than 6 years old.
Ensure you seek urgent medical attention immediately you begin to experience allergic reactions to Clonidine. These are: difficulty in breathing, hives, swelling in places such as face, throat, tongue, and lips. The following are some of the common side effects of Clonidine:
· The feeling of tiredness or anger;
· Contact lens discomfort;
· Dry eyes;
· Dry mouth;
· Loss of appetite.
In a situation whereby you forget to use your prescribed medicine, you can always take it at the moment of recollection. However, mind the time for the next dose if not close. Taking two doses at one time should be avoided.
Peradventure you take more than the prescribed doses, quickly see your doctor or call for emergency medical help. The symptoms of taking more than the required dosage may include:
· High blood pressure;
· Feeling cold;
· Pinpoint pupils;
· Weak breathing;
· Low blood pressure;
Clonidine is contraindicated in patients who are hypersensitive to it.
Interaction with other drugs
· Avoid the intake of Clonidine with alcohol, barbiturate or other sedating medications.
· The intake of tricyclic antidepressants with Clonidine hydrochloride may result in the reduction of the Clonidine hypotensive effect which will require more intake of Clonidine dose.
· The intake of neuroleptics with Clonidine may result in a worsening condition of orthostatic regulation disturbances