Cymbalta is an antidepressant that is commonly consumed for patients with depression and panic disorders. This drug is also used to cure a wide variety of other conditions such as fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain.
The main active ingredient in Cymbalta is Duloxetine hydrochloride. Other inactive ingredients include titanium dioxide, gelatin, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose acetate succinate, FD&C Blue No.2, talc, hypromellose, sucrose, sodium lauryl sulfate, triethyl citrate, and sugar spheres.
Cymbalta is an antidepressant classified under SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors). The brain has natural chemicals called neurotransmitters which are used to send messages across the brain, thus dictating how other body parts function. When neurotransmitters are imbalanced, one can experience anxiety and mood disorders. Cymbalta works to restore balance in serotonin and norepinephrine which are neurotransmitters.
Before you buy duloxetine, it is important to understand what roles it plays in the body. Cymbalta is indicated for treating generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, chronic fatigue syndrome, neuropathic pain and fibromyalgia among other related conditions.
Mode of Indication, Dosage, and Administration
Cymbalta should be taken strictly in accordance with the guidance of a doctor. This medication is safe to administer with or without the meal. The capsule should be eaten whole; do not break, chew or open it up. The medicine should be taken in the right dosage so do not under-dose or overdose. Cymbalta is available in dosage strengths of 20 mg, 30 mg, 40 mg, and 60 mg. dosage administered depends on the kind of condition being cured and response to medication.
For instance, for major depressive disorder, recommended total daily dosage is 40 mg to 60 mg, either given as 20 mg 2 times a day or 30 mg twice a day. For generalized anxiety disorder and diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain, 60 mg per day is the recommended daily dose. Fibromyalgia and chronic musculoskeletal pain patients should take 60 mg once per day. However, for all these conditions, one can begin on a low dose and increase gradually depending on how they respond. Treatment duration varies from 1-4 weeks to several months depending on the condition and its severity. To avoid overdose, do not consume two potions at the same time.
Cymbalta Side Effects
Typical side effects connected with duloxetine include:
- Dry mouth;
- Feeling weak;
- Lack of appetite;
- Stomach discomfort and pain;
- Feeling drowsy and dizzy;
- Too nervous;
- Difficulties urinating;
- Decreased libido.
Serious side effects that require urgent medical help include:
- Difficulty in breathing;
- Vision changes;
- Swelling on the throat, face, tongue, and lips;
- Skin rash;
- Panic attacks;
- Severe depression;
- Suicidal thoughts;
- Difficulty in urinating;
- Eye pain, swelling, and redness;
- Unusual bleeding;
- Severe skin reaction;
- Painful urination;
- Dark urine;
- Slurred speech, confusion;
- Manic episodes including sudden or drastic change in behavior.
Before you buy Cymbalta, you should take the following precautions to ensure you remain safe.
- Do not consume this drug if you react to duloxetine.
- Avoid Cymbalta 14 days after or 5 days before using MAO inhibitors such as tranylcypromine, linezolid, isocarboxazid, rasagiline, and selegiline among others.
Let the doctor know if you’ve suffered from any of these conditions:
- Epilepsy or history of seizures;
- High blood pressure;
- Kidney or liver disease;
- Drug addiction;
- Narrow-angle glaucoma;
- Bleeding or blood clotting disorders;
- Bipolar disorder;
- Suicidal thoughts.
Before commencing Cymbalta medication, tell the doctor if you’re using the following types of medicines:
- Other antidepressants aside from Cymbalta;
- Antibiotics such as enoxacin, and ciprofloxacin;
- Opioid medication such as tramadol or fentanyl;
- Blood thinners such as warfarin, jantoven, and Coumadin;
- Mood disorder or mental illness medication such as thioridazine, lithium, and buspirone;
- Migraine headache drugs such as zolmitriptan, sumatriptan, and rizatriptan;
- Heart rhythm medication i.e. quinidine, flecainide, and propafenone;
- Amphetamine such as Strattera, Adderall, Ritalin, Vyvanse, and Focalin among others.
Some medications can react with duloxetine and cause serotonin syndrome which is a serious condition.