Diflucan (fluconazole) is an antifungal drug that is consumed for the therapy of fungal infections. Fungal infections can after the body in different parts such as the throat, bladder, mouth, the blood, and genital area. Diflucan works for the prevention of infections got from fungus in people whom the effectiveness of their immune system has been diminished as a result of a bone marrow transplant, AIDs or cancer treatment.
Fluconazole is in different forms with the strengths of 50mg, 100mg, 150mg, and 200mg. To contains the following ingredients:
· Microcrystalline cellulose;
· Dibasic calcium phosphate anhydrous;
· Croscarmellose sodium;
· FD&C Red No. 40 aluminum lake dye;
· Magnesium stearate.
Diflucan tablets used orally with the strengths of 350 mg or 1400 mg contain the following ingredients:
· Sodium citrate dehydrate;
· Citric acid anhydrous;
· Sodium benzoate;
· Titanium dioxide;
· Colloidal silicon dioxide;
· Xanthan gum;
· Natural orange flavor.
Fluconazole is used for the prevention and treatment of different types of yeast and fungal infections. Diflucan is an azole antifungal drug that works effectively to hinder the growth of certain varieties of fungus.
Mode of Indication, Dosage, and Duration of Treatment
Follow all directions given both by your doctor and those don’t be the prescription label. The dose prescription will be based on the nature of your infection. Usually, one pill is consumed for the therapy of vaginal infections. However, a double dose may be prescribed on other infections. Diflucan may be taken with or without a meal. Ensure you shake the liquid properly before you measure it using any devices for dose measurement. Ensure you don’t miss any drug. Use within the time frame given. Fluconazole doesn’t work for the treatment of viral infection such as common cold or flu. Notify your doctor if there no improvement or if condition deteriorates.
The following precautionary measures must be taken before or when using Diflucan:
· Patients who are allergic to Diflucan should keep away from their use.
· Notify the doctor if you are allergic to drugs such as miconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole, and other antifungal medicines.
· Your medications may be changed by the doctor if you use drugs relative to any of the following. This is because they may lead to obnoxious effects: cholesterol medication, an antibiotic medicine, oral diabetes medicine, a blood thinner, heart or blood pressure medication, cancer medicine, medicine for tuberculosis or malaria, Organ transplant rejection preventive drugs, depression or mental illness treatment medications, an NSAID, seizure medicine, and steroid disease.
· Notify the doctor if you have a history on any of the following diseases:
o Liver disease ;
o HIV or AIDS;
o Heart disease;
o Long QT syndrome;
o Kidney disease.
· Pregnant women and lactating mothers seek the advice of their doctors before using Diflucan. It may result in unpleasant effects for unborn babies and nursing babies.
· Notify your doctor before taking Diflucan liquid form if you are a patient who cannot properly digest milk or sugar. There is sucrose in Diflucan liquid form.
Ensure you seek immediate medical attention when you begin to experience allergic reactions to Diflucan such as: swelling in the throat, lips, face or tongue; difficulty in breathing and hives. Some common side effects may be:
· Stomach pain;
· Gustation changes.
In a situation whereby you forget to use your prescribed medicine, you can always take it at the moment of recollection. However, mind the time for the next dose if not close. Taking two doses at one time should be avoided.
Peradventure you take more than the prescribed doses, quickly see your doctor or call for emergency medical help. Some of the symptoms of overdose may include:
· Unusual thoughts;
· Unusual behavior.
Interaction with other drugs
Ensure you notify your doctor before starting any new medication with Flucinazoleor those you have stopped using. Some medications are dangerous when used together with Diflucan which may give rise to the side effects or reduces the effectiveness of the drugs. These are some of the drugs that you should not together with Diflucan:
· Prescription and over-the-counter medicines;
· Herbal products.
Adhere to all instructions given by your doctor on the beverages, food or activity that must be avoided.